Our church is in a season of transition as we begin the search for our next Lead Pastor. We’ve created this page to keep you informed as we work our way through this complex process, so please check back for updates throughout the next several months. We’ve also created a list of frequently asked questions found at the bottom of this page. If you have additional questions, feel free to email our elder board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for the many ways you continue to love and serve our church throughout this transitional phase. We appreciate your prayers and are hopeful and excited for what (and who) God has in store for The Way Bible Church in the coming months.
May 10, 2021
- We are currently evaluating 4 candidates received from Slingshot. They are all currently in the theology review stage.
Feb. 25, 2021
- The current members of our search committee are Rod Hasler, Allison Brindley, Danny Mehaffey, and John Nettles.
- We are going to start reaching out to people within the church family about participating in the focus group (see FAQs below if you have questions about the role of the focus group in our search process).
- We have one candidate (from the candidates we mentioned in our Dec. 3 update) that is scheduled for a 3rd interview, focus group review, and a visit.
- We have received 2 new candidates from Slingshot. These 2 candidates are currently in the theology review phase of our process.
Dec. 3, 2020
- Slingshot Group has informed the search committee that we will be receiving pastoral profiles on the first 2-3 vetted candidates on Dec 8th. The committee will begin the internal process with these candidates right away. Please pray for wisdom, guidance, and discernment for the search committee as they interview and vet these candidates.
Nov. 6, 2020
- The job posting for lead pastor is live on Slingshot! CLICK HERE to see it.
Nov. 1, 2020
- The Pastor Search Committee has formed and is currently meeting on a weekly basis. The members, who graciously committed to serve on this committee, are pictured below. Please pray for them as they seek God’s wisdom and guidance and walk through this process together.
- Our Pastor Search Committee has decided to partner with Slingshot Group, the largest church staffing organization in the country, to guide us through this process. Slingshot will work directly with our committee to find and vet candidates. Once a pool of candidates is selected, Slingshot will consult with the committee as we take those candidates through our internal process. We are currently finishing up our church profile for Slingshot, and once that is complete, a job posting will be created and we will post a link to that job posting on this website. For additional details, please see the FAQ section below.
- Ralph Harris has graciously accepted our invitation to join our team of pastors as an Interim Associate Pastor. He will be helping our current pastors with community groups, pastoral care, counseling, day to day operations, and preaching. Ralph brings many years of pastoral experience to the table and we are excited to have him join our team in mid-November. We are so thankful for Ralph’s willing heart to walk alongside us during this transitional phase, for up to six months. We encourage you to take some time to get to know him. Please join us in welcoming Ralph and his wife Sarah!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the role of the Lead Pastor at The Way?
The candidate who is chosen as Lead Pastor will continue to cast vision for our church, foster discipleship amongst other pastors and leaders, while equipping them to serve our church family and their various ministries. This position is also responsible for running most of the day to day operations. The Lead Pastor will be the primary teacher on Sunday mornings, proclaiming biblical truth and knowledge.
How is the new Lead Pastor selected?
Slingshot Group has been hired to do the initial vetting. The vetted candidates are then presented to our Pastor Board for a theology review. Once the candidate has passed the theology review, they are passed on to the Search Committee, who will pray, listen to candidate’s sermons, conduct interviews, and read candidate’s essays, etc. Candidates who make it through the initial phase with the Search Committee will then move on to our Focus Group. The Focus Group is comprised on 10-15 members of our church family. The Focus Group will pray, listen to content, and report back to the Search Committee with any follow up questions or concerns. The Search Committee will then vote on a specific candidate and if a 2/3 majority vote is achieved, the candidate will move onto to the next step, Elder Board review. The Elder Board will review all the information, pray, and vote on whether or not to bring the candidate in to meet the church family and preach. The church members will then vote (2/3 majority required) on the candidate, which is the final step in the process.
Why are we using a pastor search firm?
The search and vetting process for this specific role can be long and cumbersome. After reviewing all that is involved, the Elders and Search Committee voted unanimously to hire a church staffing firm. Three firms were interviewed and Slingshot stood out as the best structure to fit our needs. Lead Pastor is a vitally important role at our church. We feel strongly that it is not only important to communicate the job opening to the largest audience possible, but also to have seasoned experts guide us along the way.
How long will the search process take?
The job posting created by Slingshot is scheduled to go live in first half of November 2020 and the Search Committee hopes to begin vetting candidates before the end of 2020. Our internal process will take 1-3 months from the time a candidate is received to potentially making it all the way through the process. We are trusting God’s perfect timing and are praying the right candidate finds our job posting quickly, but also know that we must be patient.
Who will teach on Sunday mornings until we choose our new Lead Pastor?
Ralph Harris will be our primary Sunday morning speaker. Pastors Rich Kendall and Rod Hasler will fill in as needed.
Is Ralph Harris a candidate for the position of Lead Pastor?
No. Ralph has clearly stated that he has no intention of applying for the position of Lead Pastor. He is joining our pastoral team on an interim basis to help us through this time of transition.
I have some input, how can I share it? / How can I help?
If you have any questions, concerns or feedback on this transition, please feel free to email email@example.com.
I am interested or may know someone interested in applying for the Lead Pastor position, who do I contact?
Please have all interested parties contact Slingshot Group to apply for the position. CLICK HERE to see the job posting.
If you have any other questions please contact the elders directly, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.